Tuesday 19 October 2010

Dating

ran into: to unexpectedly see someone
Example: Hey, I ran into my friend Jackie today downtown.

bursting at the seams: very happy
Example: She was like bursting at the seams she was so happy.

total loser: someone who is unsuccessful
Example: I remember when she first started out she told me about this one guy she met and he was a total loser.

went out with / go out with: to go on a date with
Example: Because that was the first person she went out with.

lost touch: no longer in contact with
Example: There’s, I have a friend that I am no longer in touch with and before we lost touch I can remember her telling me a story about going out on a blind date.

two sheets to the wind: very drunk; drank too much alcohol
Example: He was already two sheets to the wind.

head and shoulders above the rest: much better than other things
Example: But I will say before we lost touch she finally met someone that was head and shoulders above the rest.

funny spin on things: funny way of looking at things
Example: And he, he just always has a funny spin on things when he tells a story.

cracks me up: makes me laugh
Example: Kristin: Oh, that guy cracks me up.

a recipe for disaster: something that is likely to end badly a good bit: a lot
Example: That’s just, that seems like it would be a recipe for disaster.

back in the day: a long time ago
Example: Well, I think, um, dating has really changed a good bit, y’know, back in the day, when my…our parents were dating.

the norm: common
Example: Yeah, we’re definitely not the norm, or our families aren’t.

shacking up: when an unmarried man and an unmarried woman live together; when a man and a woman who are dating live together but are not married
Example: My mom, I was talking about it with her the other day and she actually called it shacking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment